Boiling Lizard (Etrian Odyssey IV) Edit
The Boiling Lizard is the boss found on B3F of the Golden Lair. Before the fight, the players are given the option to destroy a large scale in the back of the room. To get to it, you must navigate and destroy some of the smaller scales around the room, all while the boss chases you. It is recommended to challenge the boss when the party is around level 40.
Destroying the large scale behind its resting spot is vital as it halves the Lizard's HP, dramatically reduces the power of its attacks, and renders it vulnerable to a pre-emptive attack. To even reach it, the player needs to utilize the room east of the boss room to lure the Lizard in a circle and break the scales flanking the large scale. The whole endeavor will result in the party taking plenty of damage from the scales alone, so use healing items to heal up before engaging the Lizard so that the Medic (if available) has enough TP for the ensuing battle.
The Boiling Lizard has many powerful AoE moves that can wipe an unprepared party quite easily, and it can also summon Scales into the battle. The Scales should be broken with any extra Ice Stakes you may have picked up around the dungeon. Due to its most potent attacks, Scorching Fire and Fireball Cannon, being of the fire variety, it is recommended to get a Fire Charm to help half the damage from the Berund Atelier (at the cost of a Hard Shell); cooking fish found in the stratum that raises fire resistance would also prove useful. Finally, the Red Doublet found in the first floor after freezing the water gives significant fire resistance, plenty to offset the low defense. Ice magic in general is very effective against this boss; however, its conditional drop can only be obtained by killing it with fire-elemental damage.
Kibagami's presence in the fight is incredibly helpful, due to his good damage output and access to ice damage. Should the Boiling Lizard be on the ropes as it uses Fire Wall and Revival Fire, Kibagami can erase these buffs with Roar. Binding its head can also seal off a majority of its moves should the bind actually land.
- Scorching Fire (Uses Head): Ranged fire attack to the entire party.
- Fire Wall (Uses Head): For 5 turns, counters all melee attacks done to it with a ranged fire attack.
- Venom Tail (Uses Leg): Melee bash attack to 1 line, may poison. Poison damage and success rate reduced if the room is cooled.
- Fireball Cannon (Uses Head): 4-5 ranged fire attacks across the party randomly. Reduced to 2 hits if the room is cooled.
- Upward Thrust (Uses Head): Strong line-piercing melee stab attack to a target.
- Revival Fire (Uses Head): Regenerates HP for 5 turns. Regeneration rate lowered if the room is cooled.
- Fiery Horn (Worth: 4483 en)
- Effulgent Horn (Worth: 20000 en)
Conditional Drop Edit
- To obtain the Effulgent Horn, you have to kill the boss by using a fire-elemental attack.
Related Monsters Edit
- The Boiling Lizard looks painfully similar to Salamox from Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard. Both are fire-based monsters that are fond of claiming specific tracts of territory for their nests, and they have a few commonalities in their attacks (fire breath, tail attacks). Perhaps most telliingly, their means of acquiring their conditional drops are both identical as well.