- They pick off enemies from a distance with their bows. They can accurately hit enemy weaknesses, thereby binding body parts. Ranged attackers who work on the back line.
- —In-Game description, Etrian Odyssey IV
Much like the Survivalist or Arbalist classes in previous games, The Sniper is Etrian Odyssey IV's master bow user. Due to a lack of strong armor for them early game, they will likely hold a position in the back line of most parties.
Snipers blend the weaponry of Survivalists and the disabling techniques of the Dark Hunters to give rise to a speedy back-row attacker who can support by locking out enemy attacks. Their biggest source of damage lies in critical hits, and a lot of their skills tie into enhancing criticals as much as possible, especially since their class skills allow for bow skills to also do critical hits. To this end, they have a respectable Strength, Agility, and Luck growth, allowing them to disable enemies before they can even move.
Outside battle, they also give good exploration support by lowering encounter rates or preventing ambushes.
- Strengths: Early source of enemy lockdown through Snipe skills, great ability to land critical hits, exploration support.
- Weaknesses: Cannot bind multiple enemies at once, low Vitality.
Subclasses for SnipersEdit
Snipers are very good offensive classes in the game, they have a lot of synergy with subclassing options that further boost their offensive potential, as well as making full use of their binds.
- Landsknecht: A subclass for increasing this class' offense and defense. A stacking Power Boost combined with Vanguard and Initiative greatly increases overall offense and ensures binds land quickly to shut down the opposition, while Iron Wall and Swordbreaker increase durability. They still have a free equipment slot for shields to raise defense and to supplement with Power Break and Mind Break.
- Nightseeker: A hilariously good subclassing option, double attacks and increased damage with ailment/bound enemies is pretty good, Follow Trace proves to be excellent for Snipers paired with their already high damage output thanks to their constant criticals and safe hits from the back lines. Speed Boost also raises the Sniper's accuracy, allowing their Squall Volley attack land more hits than usual.
- Arcanist: Subclassing Arcanists to Snipers allows more security in making full use of their bind synergy. Ailment Boost dramatically raises the success rate of the Snipe skills, and TP Return can sustain the Sniper's TP in long battles, provided their binds land first. You can opt for this option if you don't have/don't want an Arcanist in your party.
- Bushi: Subclassing Bushi is a standard if you want to fully exploit any class' offensive potential, Blood Surge and Deep Breath, along with a few other skills as well as Sniper's constant criticals and good damage output will make good use of this option.
Sniper as SubclassEdit
Due to Snipers designed to synergize with critical hits, which only normal attacks can inflict without the assistance of their class skills, Sniper is often a subpar subclass choice as their own attack skills will not be able to inflict criticals like Sniper mains do. The few classes that can make the best out of Bullseye are often classes that can execute multiple normal attacks at once to raise the quantity of critical hits they land.
- Backrow Nightseekers can dual-wield Bows to inflict binds through the Snipe skills due to their high innate Luck. Their own Blade Flurry skill also works in conjunction with Bullseye for more critical hits, and Follow Trace lets them double up on the stronger attack skills.
- Non-combat Medics can pull their weight from the back row on turns they don't need to heal, usually by using Flank Shot, Steel Arrow or Silver Arrow. Terrible Luck, however makes it unwise to invest in the Snipe skills.
- Bind-dependent Arcanists can use Chase Bind to pile on more damage each time they successfully bind. Divine Shot is prone to doing a tremendous amount of damage, and re-binding an enemy that has survived it can be easily performed with Releasal Spell.
- Bow-using Dancers can combine Bullseye with Sword Dance to unleash a flurry of normal attacks that have higher critical rates, or gain more support options via the Snipe skills.
|Proficiency||Bow skills may deal critical hits. Damage from critical hits increases.||Class||None|
|Leg Snipe||May bind the enemy's legs.||Bow||None|
|Arm Snipe||May bind the enemy's arms.||Bow||Leg Snipe Lv2|
|Long Shot||Ranged stab attack to 1 enemy.||Bow||None|
|Steel Arrow||Ranged stab attack that pierces across the enemy lines.||Bow||Long Shot Lv3|
|Flank Shot||Ranged stab attack to an entire line of enemies.||Bow||Long Shot Lv3|
|Lock On||Increases your critical hit rate for 5 turns.||Support||None|
|Scavenger||Increases drop rate for materials from defeated monsters.||Passive||None|
|Spotter||Increases the party's hit rate for 5 turns.||Support||None|
|Dendrology||Greater chance of finding extra materials when chopping wood.||Passive||None|
|Expertise||Further Increases the damage of critical hits.||Class||Proficiency|
|Head Snipe||May bind the enemy's head.||Bow||Arm Snipe Lv1|
|Chase Bind||Performs a follow-up attack when an ally binds an enemy.||Passive||Head Snipe Lv2||Lv4 and 8 increase number of follow-up attacks. Cannot crit.|
|Silver Arrow||Ranged stab attack to 1 enemy that ignores buffs and physical defenses.||Bow||Steel Arrow Lv2|
|Squall Volley||Multiple inaccurate weak ranged stab attacks to all enemies at random.||Bow||Flank Shot Lv2||Leveling increases number of hits.|
|Bullseye||Increases critical hit rate.||Passive||Lock On Lv3|
|Eagle Eye||Decreases 1 enemy's physical defense for 3 turns.||Support||None|
|Camouflage||Decreases the encounter rate for a 50 steps.||Dungeon||None||Lv4 increases duration.|
|High Caution||Can prevent the party from being surprised in battle.||Passive||Camouflage Lv2|
|Discerning Eye||Increases chance of finding rare materials at a supply point.||Sky||None|
|Enlightenment||Further increases the damage of critical hits.||Class||Expertise|
|Snipe Mastery||Increases critical hit rate against bound enemies.||Passive||Chase Bind Lv3||Critical bonus increases with more binds.|
|Impact Arrow||Strong ranged stab attack that pierces enemy lines. Cooldown Period of 2 turns.||Bow||Silver Arrow Lv2|
|Divine Shot||Ranged stab attack that removes enemy binds. Increases damage for each bind.||Bow||Squall Volley Lv2|
|Power Boost||Increases your physical attack power.||Passive||None|
- The ponytail design of the female Snipers bear resemblance to the Ronin and Shogun. The short-haired one resembles one of the female Arbalists, while its palette swap resembles the brown-haired Ninja.
|v · t · eEtrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan|